GEMS Public School is conveniently located in Chaura Sanour Road, Patiala – 147002, Punjab, India
1. How is GEMS different from other international schools?
- excellence in education.
- focus on high quality teaching and learning, a broad and rich curriculum, diverse extra-curricular opportunities and a supportive guidance programme.
- teaching methodology which revolves around helping your child discover his/her innate potential to excel in academics.
- a caring and progressive community built on trust, transparency and hard work.
At GEMS, we discover and nurture each child’s natural talents and intelligence to help them achieve their full potential, through our 5 unique pillars of schooling.
- Academic Excellence
Nurturing students to achieve academic excellence through innovative teaching methods.
- Best-in-Class Infrastructure
World-class infrastructure to support academic and co-curricular activities.
- Personal Attention
Expert and experienced teachers who provide personal attention to each student.
- Safe Campus
Ensuring the safety of every child through comprehensive security measures.
- Holistic Development
Learning beyond classrooms through extra-curricular activities for all-round development.
2. How is GEMS’ better than other schools?
- Best Infrastructure
- Distinctive curriculum and teaching methodology as per global standards
- Qualified, experiences, effective and responsive staff
- Value add learning embedded in study schedule
- Special Talent Encouragement Programme for Sports and other activities
- Safe and secure campus
3. What curriculum does the school follow?
We are also introducing the International Baccalaureate’s (IB) Primary Years Program (PYP) from next academic year i.e. 2019-20
4. Till which grade the school is available?
FOR IB – PYP only
5. What are the timings for the school?
Grades 1 onward 8 am to 3 pm i.e. 7 hours
Pre K.G. 9.10 to 11.10 am i.e. 2 hours
K1 and K2 9.10 am to 1.10 pm i.e. 4 hours
The timing remains the same throughout the year.
6. Does the school have boarding (residential) facilities?
7. Do I need an appointment to visit the School?
8. What were the school’s results in the last year?
9. Will you be upgrading to Senior Secondary?
10. Do you converse in English with the child?
11. What is the teacher student ratio in the school?
12. What teaching methodologies do you use for EYP/Pre Primary?
- Designed for the 21st century learner
- Child centered approach
- Acquiring skills across the Key Learning areas (based on the EYFS, Reggio Emilia, Montessori and Lev Vygotsky)
EYFS – The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) sets standards for the learning, development and care of children from birth to 5 years old.
The Reggio Emilia philosophy is based upon the following set of principles:
- Children must have some control over the direction of their learning
- Children must be able to learn through experiences of touching, moving, listening, and observing
- Parent involvement is an integral part of this approach
Montessori Approach: Emphasis on independence, freedom within limits, and respect for a child’s natural psychological, physical, and social development.
Lev Vygotsky – His approach talks about cognitive development and how social interactions help develop our cognitive skills.
Early Years learning experiences are planned across 7 KLA’s:
- Personal, Social & Emotional Development
- Communication and Language
- Understanding the World
- Physical Development
- Expressive Arts & Design
13. What are the learning resources used for EYP/Pre Primary?
- In house Gems Kits specially designed for children
- KPL kits for each child
- Smart classes with smart boards in every class
14. How’s your EYP section better as compared to other schools?
- Child centered approach
- Hands on learning
- Individual learning kits for each child
- Differential learning
- Different learning zones like Eurisco and Psychomotor gym
- Traffic park
- Sensory boards for children in the corridors
- Overall infrastructure
- Child Teacher Ratio – 2 teachers + 1 nanny per class/section
15. Is there a policy for offering admissions to siblings of students in school?
16. What is the admission process?
- Filling up the enquiry form
- Briefing parents about the school & the fee structure
- Encouraging them to pick an application kit and blocking the seat by paying blocking amount
- App fee+ registration fee+ blocking amount will be paid at the accounts counter.
- Any fee discounts made should be mentioned on the application form with signature.
17. What is the fee structure?
18. What is the age criterion for admissions?
Pre KG: Minimum Age should be 2+ as on 31.03.2019
KG 1: Minimum Age should be 3+ as on 31.03.2019
KG 2: Minimum Age should be 4+ as on 31.03.2019
Grade 1: Minimum Age should be 5+ as on 31.03.2019
19. Do you accept student applicants from other educational systems?
20. How will I pay the registration fees?
21. Is the Registration fee refundable?
22. When do I have to pay the school tuition fees?
The printed school fee structure will provide you the breakup of the fee in percentage. Refer to that for more details.
23. Is there any discount in your fees? (academic + tuition)
24. Can my child join school late as long I have paid the fees?
25. What is the school’s policy for refunds of deposits if a child is leaving the school?
26. Is it possible to sit in a classroom or meet with a teacher, counsellor or the principal while visiting the school?
27. Is there a school uniform?
29. What is the HW policy?
28. Does the school have provision for hot meals and snacks for the students?
29. What is the HW policy?
30. Which publishers’ textbooks do you follow?
31. Do you charge anything extra for Sports day, Annual day, School excursions etc.?
32. Does the school have buses for students?
33. Does the school offer after school activities?
34. How skilled are the teachers?
35. Does the school encourage teachers to undergo periodic Professional Development to keep themselves abreast of the latest methods of teaching and learning?
36. Do children go on field trips or visits to local museums?
37. What is the school’s policy on punishment?
38. What is the school’s system of surveillance, background checks and chaperones to ensure safety of the child?
The complete school is under CCTV surveillance; police verification is done of all employees; a code of conduct is defined for all employees; sessions are conducted for all on POCSO, Good Touch Bad Touch along with First Aid training; breath analyzer is conducted for all drivers/conductors every day i.e. when they arrive, when they come back after dropping the students and when they have to go for dropping the students.
No unauthorized person is allowed in the school premises. Only authorized person is allowed to pick up students from school.
We have RIFD Cards and GPS system in our buses which can be tracked through an app by each p[aren’t whose ward is travelling by the school bus.
A Safety Committee is also elected every year which also has one parent from each class along with members from the School who meet at least once a quarter and inspect the school safety measures at regular intervals.
39. How are children assessed?
Grade 5 onward we have periodic and summative assessments too.
40. Do you follow grades or marks system?
41. Are involvements and achievements outside academics encouraged and supported?
42. If my child takes part in activities outside school regularly, how does the school tailor academics for him/her?
43. How can I keep track of my child’s progress?
Parent Teacher Conferences are called at regular intervals (dates given in the Annual Calendar) and Coffee Chats in small groups are conducted twice a year wherein you get an opportunity to interact with the teachers of your ward, Coordinator and the Principal.
In addition, you can meet them for any specific purpose with prior appointment or write to them; contact details along with email ids are shared with all.
44. What infrastructure has been provided?
45. Why is GEMS fee so high as compared to other CBSE or ICSE schools?
46. How do you handle academically weak students?
She has a F2F meeting with the parents to know/understand the child better.
The student is given individualized attention according to his understanding level.
The student is also encouraged by applauding his/her improvements which motivates him to still do better.
Psychological analysis is also done where required after taking parents approval which supports our efforts.
47. How do you handle children with special needs?
Where required we refer the students to them after consulting the parents.
A proper diagnosis is done and support provided.
We provide academic support and observations; also arrange for a shadow teacher where required after approval from the parents and the extra cost is borne by the parents.
Observations are conducted regularly and evaluation done at regular interval; the parents are kept updated about the progress of their child.
If the student needs special therapy or medication the parents are informed and references are given so that the parents can take a call.
48. Which sports facilities are available for students?
Badminton (Indoor – 3 courts)
Swimming (Indoor heated pool)
Archery (Will start by January)
Shooting (Will start by January)